How can you get rid of used hearing aids? The answer is definitely the same whether you choose to upgrade to a more advanced model like cochlear implants or you got them from a departed relative: donate your used hearing aids rather than getting rid of.
There are several organizations that acquire and distribute used hearing aids to people who need them, and there are lots of people who need them. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your used hearing aid and learn how you can go about it.
Why You Should Think About Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
- Around 14% of the total population, suffers from hearing loss
- 91% of adults who have loss of hearing are over the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children suffer from some kind of hearing loss
- Hearing aids would help almost 29 million adults with hearing loss, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually utilize hearing aids
- The general age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Of those over 70 who need hearing aids, fewer than 30% percent have ever had them
I think we should be concerned. Because neglected hearing loss has been linked to several health issues from a greater risk of falling to mental decline and depression. As a matter of fact, new research comes out on a regular basis showing how important hearing is to your overall health. Getting hearing aids can lessen these health issues (and in certain instances even reverse them).
And hearing loss will cost the average family up to $12,000 each year which should be a very compelling fact. But hearing aids can actually mitigate that cost by up to 50%.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 each year, it might simply not be feasible for them to pay for a hearing aid.
For a person in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your old hearing aids can have a big effect on their financial well being, quality of life, and overall health. It might also help a child in school that has a hard time hearing, which could affect their ability to get into higher education and make a decent living when they’re older.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
Old hearing aids are recycled and dispensed by numerous manufacturers and volunteer organizations. Come by and we can help you find a recycling strategy. Or you can just give us a call.